Julian Castro’s Plan To End Chronic Homelessness In The U.S.

Sharing is caring!

Homelessness in the U.S. appears to be a mushrooming crisis. California, Washington, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon, and other cities and counties of the U.S. are undergoing this crisis, where skyrocketing rents have bound the deprived Americans out of the housing market. Homeless families have to set up tent encampments on streets throughout such cities and counties.

Julian Castro, a Democratic presidential candidate, stated that he has a plan to put a stop to chronic homelessness in the U.S. by 2028. He propounded a federal guarantee of housing for the homeless ones. He has made Homelessness a major concern of his campaign. As he said, “Obviously, this is an issue that I care a lot about, having seen the effects of both homelessness and this affordability crisis.”

The federal program of spending on housing serves only 25% of eligible households. Castro propounded to expand it to the remaining 75%, converting it to “a fully-funded entitlement program” akin to food stamps. He proposed that his housing plan could be funded by revoking President Trump’s tax cuts and by removing tax loopholes. He declared his plan would end chronic homelessness in the U.S. for veterans and children by the end of his 1st term and it would put an end to chronic homelessness by the end of 2028.

Castro, an ex-mayor of San Antonio, said in an interview: “I see housing as a human right, especially in the wealthiest nation on Earth, I don’t think there’s anybody who should go without a safe, decent place to live.” He proposed he would proliferate the extent of the federal Section 8 rent voucher program, which subsidizes the housing of nearly 5.3 million U.S. residents in low-earning families.

Castro also said that to shut down the chronic homelessness in the U.S, he would multiply the government’s assistance grants for the homeless ones to $7.5 billion. In addition, he also propounded that for low and middle-class tenants, whose rent surpasses 30% of their earnings, a new tax credit plan would be initiated. Castro said, “This is a huge endeavor.” As stated in his campaign, his housing plan would cost at the minimum $970 billion over 10 years, encompassing $410 billion to expand the rent voucher program.

Leave a Reply